Monday, April 21, 2008

Sorry, I meant Den Haag

So I've been in The Hague, not Amsterdam. There was just so much shuffling before it was hard to tell, but it's all straightened up for the time being.

We're still at the squat -- well, all of us except our manager bassist. There's some nutty internal band stuff going on right now and it's really a book's worth of material and a story I'll leave for another time (maybe a little before I leave). In the meantime, yesterday: We walked around the town centre, as we've been apt to do, and just marveled at everything. This place is gorgeous, gorgeous gorgeous. We haven't even been through the rest of Holland but if it's anything like this, Holland might be the most magical place on Earth. Yesterday was definitely the best day on tour -- I've gotten to know my bandmates so much better, and I finally shared a few things I've been holding back for a long time.

We sat around and had some coffee -- and wow, the coffee -- and then went to McD's and had cheeseburgers. I know right, but feel me out here: We're flat broke. The internal shit that's going on has a little bit to do with money too, and for reasons I won't go into we really have to scrimp. But y'know, Europe's expensive any way you look at it.

After McD's the group humored me and I found a spot to busk. We found a spot with people frequently passing by and some beautiful acoustics. Even with a cold I managed to belt out for an hour, met some people, and made 10,35 euros. So I can eat today. :) As with everything, I've got some pictures. There are so many that I might not get to post them until the end of tour, but I'll try to sneak a few.

Gotta go -- sexy van driver is giving me a back rub!!! Next post: gnomes. I'll explain later. But seriously, people, comment. Even if you're just saying hello.

--mk

4 comments:

Tim Lee said...

Ah Melissa. Back to busking. Did you busk any THTG?

Unknown said...

Den Haag is gawgeousness, no? Did you go to the Maurithaus like I told you? It houses the Girl With The Pearl Earring! Among other awesome stuff.

Rotterdam is where it's at for the kids these days, though.

While in Netherlands you must eat:

- Panenkooken for lunch.
- Stroopwaffles, preferably at a market where they're making them fresh
- Vlaadse frites -- Belgian fries served in a cone. You pay extra for condiments.

And are you digging the tiny beers?

I'm gonna be in Am'dam from Mid May to Mid-June. Come back and hang wif me!

Unknown said...

BTW, "triceratops" is Rico...

Unknown said...

Another cheap way to eat: Maoz falafel stands. Comes with a little sald bar of stuff you can stuff into the falafel sandwich. I lived on that stuff first time I went to NL.

Also, you need to hook me up with your squat contact cuz I'm doing research about squats.